A blog for my young friends in Homer, and anyone else wishing to follow my ongoing adventures in the city of Los Angeles.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Adventure Continues!!!

Hey all! Since my last post, I got to see a lot of you when I visited Homer! That was awesome, thanks so much to everyone who came out and saw me. I was thrilled to see that all the YT kids are basically taking over Pier One. Taneeka's got a great show cooking, and it sounds like Skills Camp was awesome. Marc's been directing his face off, and casting all kinds of YT people. Old-skool YT alum Nathan Landers did "That Darn Plot." Also, YT people are inflitrating adult shows, like "The Importance of Being Ernest". Way to be, Homer kids! Also, thanks so much for coming out and seeing me. Can't wait for my next visit!

So as I write this, I'm sitting in my buddy Cory's apartment (he's out of town with his wife) while my buddy Rudy plays "Call of Duty: World at War" on my X-box. Tomorrow, I'm leaving LA and beginning my 5-6 day drive to Chicago. I can't wait! The drive down here from Alaska was some of the most fun I've had in a long time (I'll write a blog about it one of these days), and continuing the adventure is the funnest thing I could think of doing right now. I'll be driving through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, and Ohio on my way to Illinois. Either that or I'll go through Arizona, New Mexico, Missouri, and Ohio. Haven't quite made up my mind yet.

So why am I leaving LA? Well, it's really expensive to live here, for starters. Also, since there's a recession on, it's really hard to find work everywhere, and California's the worst. The state is collapsing, basically. They've been giving IOUs to contractors, like construction companies and stuff, because they don't have enough to pay them. Just recently, the banks said they would no longer honor these IOUs from the state of California. So basically, the banks are saying that they can't trust California to pay off it's debts. The state of California is basically a deadbeat. Also, California isn't paying its residents their tax refunds. I better leave town before the state reverts to tribal warfare and cannibalism!

That's only part of it, though. The real problem with LA has more to do with the way the industry is set up: you break your back trying to get a crappy industry job, then eventually you do (maybe) and then you try to work your way up to a cool industry job, and if you're lucky you eventually get to do something creative. All the while, there are thousands of people trying to do the same thing, most of whom have better resumes than me. I got better prospects in Chicago.

So why Chicago? Well, my buddy Yosh is there, and he claims that there are lots of opportunities there in Youth Theatre. In fact, he told me that Youth Theatre is a growth industry right now, and there's a lot more demand than there is supply. Since I have a great resume in youth theatre, I'm going to go give that a try, and also see what else is going on. A day or two after I get to Chicago, me and Yosh are going to drive to Iowa, and I'm going to get to be in a zombie movie!

It's called Cadaver Christmas. If you click on that link, you can see a picture of my buddy Yosh on the main page there. He's the cop who looks all freaked out. They're going to shoot some big zombie battle or something, and I'm going to be a zombie. Apparently Yosh is going to blow my chest open with a shotgun, so that should be fun!

Stay tuned for further developments!

No comments: